let us point you in the right direction
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is RelocateGuru?
RelocateGuru is a platform to find, share and organise everything you need to know about your town. People can rate and share all their favourite places, local businesses, groups, hobbies and useful websites, Facebook pages etc, about where they live. Like a mashup of Pintrest and TripAdvisor for your town,
RelocateGuru aims to help you feel like a local before you move by empowering it's users to be better neighbours, support local businesses and create friendlier communities.
- Where did the idea come from?
- The idea came about with the hassle of moving to a new city and having to rediscover everything for the first time again and for it taking so long to find friends and feel at home. Despite searching hundreds of websites and forums there were so many times that I thought “why didn’t someone tell me about this sooner!” I wanted a website that helps put everything in one place and get the local insights and make connections with people before I get there.
- RelocateGuru has been created to solve 3 simple problems:
- 1. Moving somewhere new can be lonely sometimes. So RelocateGuru will be a place to find new friends and groups that you can connect with in your new city. You can send messages and ask questions to get to know your new city and make connections, while keeping your personal details private.
- 2. Getting word of mouth recommendations and those insights that make you feel like a local can take years to accumulate. Instead you can get these insider tips before you arrive, and because they are matched to your preferences you are more likely to find things you will love.
- 3. There is so much info you need to collect when moving somewhere new. How many times have you thought, “what was the name of that thing someone recommended? Which Facebook group was it in?” RelocateGuru is a tool to help you organise it all in one place. Just grab the URL from any webpage, forum post or blog, anything you find helpful, and create your own personalized guidebook to your city.
- What does .io mean?
The .io domain name extension means input and output, referring to the data going in and out of the system. Although originally used for the British Indian Ocean Territory, it is now being used my many similar tech startups so that they can find a name that stands out and can be remembered easily rather than a longwinded .com domain.
- How much does it cost?
For personal membership it is always FREE. If you have a business or organisation, there is a range of subscription options depending on your needs, which you can find on the pricing page or get in touch if you need more information. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- I’m not moving anywhere, why would I use this?
- RelocateGuru is here to help you find the information about your city you need no matter how long you lived there. There are countless reasons why RelocateGuru can help you. You maybe buying your first house and want to find a good solicitor and want to know which neighbourhood is best. You may get a new puppy and need recommendations for a vet or dog walker. You may have just had a baby and don’t know where the best mother and toddler classes are. Your child maybe about to start school and you want to find out more about the local schools. Or you may just want to find a recommendation for a good plumber. What you use it for will shape how it develops and evolves.
- The more you use this website and the more information you share the more members you will help and the better it gets for everyone. You’ll be able to find more tips that are useful and get more discounts, as well as helping more people get settled and feel apart of the community sooner.
- When you share information that other members save to their guidebooks, you earn points. The more points you get the more vouchers you can unlock. So you can share tips about your home town and then get discounts for businesses in your current town.
- There’s something wrong, how do I report a problem?
- If you find something that doesn’t work as you expected, please let us know straightaway in the chat function, you’ll find it in the bottom right corner of the screen and in the menu. We will get back to you ASAP.
- Your feedback and responses will be used to develop and change the app and continue to make it better and better for you.
- What happens to my details?
Hate spam? Good! So do we!! We will never sell your personal details to third parties and we treat your information the way we would want ours to be treated.
- What types of businesses would benefit from being on here?
- I believe any business or organization would be able to benefit from being on RelocateGuru. Whether you are a school and want a place to help make it easier for prospective parents to find the information they need; to a solicitor who wants to help make it easier for their clients to find all the documents they need to buy a house; to a mobile hairdresser/a plumber/a child-minder/ yoga teacher/a dog groomer wanting to be found more easily in the local community. If you are unsure whether this is the right place to promote your business please get in touch in the chat and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- It is also a place to find and share all the best resources for your city. So if you have a blog, app or a website, a Facebook group or a real life group of like minded people, you can have a business page too and share what you do and the tips that you wished you knew about your city and help more people.
- I’ve got enough customers, why would I subscribe to this?
That’s amazing! Well done you! But we want to help you keep like this and help you attract new customers as well as add extra value and reward your existing customers. New people moving into the area may never have heard of you and RelocateGuru will be the place members can find and share recommendations about amazing businesses like yours. Then by adding vouchers you can reward customers who are saying nice things about you and give the opportunity for new customers to come and try you.
- I’ve signed up to the free trial, what happens next?
- At the end of the trial you will be reminded to enter your payment details and select the subscription level you want. Once you set up direct debit you’ll be able to continue with the benefits of the subscription level you have chosen.
- Can I change my mind?
Of course! There are no strings attached. You can alter and change your subscription levels as required by your business month by month. So for example if you want to promote you business more in the lead up to an event, you can increase your subscription to the Ultimate level, then afterwards reduce down the Starter or Pro level. It’s completely in your hands. We hope you will love it so much and get so much value out of it that it will be a no brainer to stick to keep your subscription.
- I’m exhausted from all the other social media I have to do, how much time do I have to put into this?
- Unlike other social media you don’t have to post every day or several times a day. Once you post something it’s there for members to search whenever they need it. The tips that you post get seen based on how relevant they are and how much they have been saved by other members. So it is better to post more useful content that members want to save to their guidebooks, than adding things just for the sake of it.
- This platform is here to help you build trust with your customers and add value to them in a way that other social media platforms
- Once you have created your tips and guidebooks members will be able to see them when they search the topics that you posted about in the cities you want to focus on.
- You are able to increase your visibility by answering questions and helping members, and may even get some new loyal customers as a result
- If you create vouchers more members will be able to see you and get the chance to try your service.
- Why would I use this when I already use Facebook for my business?
- RelocateGuru is not going to be a replacement to your other social media (not yet anyway) but will make it easier for your customers to find you and be a place to store and organsie things like your blog posts and useful info.
- The number of your followers on social media who actually see your post is decreasing unless you pay, by ever-increasing amounts. I think this is unfair and instead want to make it easier for members to be able to search and find great local businesses.